The Karin Technical is a 2-door pickup truck featured in GTA Online as part of the Heists Update. The Technical is a compact 2-door pickup truck which features a very linear design, similar to that of a fourth generation Toyota Hilux.
In GTA 5, it is essentially a Karin Rebel, albeit equipped with a large DShK Machine Gun on the rear bed, characterized by its unique iron/optical sight and the cannon’s design, and a bigger grille/push bar, as well as a steel plate that covers the under area of the vehicle. The player is able to access the mounted machine gun by holding the enter button. The Karin Technical always comes in a rusty form, unlike the normal Rebel.
Apart from the machine gun, the Technical essentially performs the same as the Rebel. On road, the Karin Technical has ample acceleration and a reasonable top speed in line with other trucks. It stays flat in the corners for a truck with its size and height, and is somewhat sporty. Its ride however, is stiff and punishing. The Karin Technical seats only two in its spartan cab, plus a gunner on its modified truck bed.
Off-road, the Karin Technical is easily one of the best off road vehicles in the game. Its high ground clearance, 4-wheel drive and fat off-road tires allow the Technical to negotiate hills and rocks with ease, and it has little chance of a rollover. The 4-cylinder diesel engine provides ample power, and will easily cause wheel spin when going up steep and slippery hills, but if the driver feathers the throttle, the Technical will make use of all of its grip well and climb hills easily. The Karin Technical can reach relatively high speeds off-road, and landing right from jumps has the suspension taking in all the impact, leaving the body undamaged.
The truck has a short wheelbase, although ‘beaching’ the truck is still a danger the driver must watch, especially when rock climbing with the truck.
The Karin Technical comes equipped with a .50 caliber machine gun, which has devastating power against pedestrians and unarmored vehicles, making it a good choice for an escort vehicle. The machine gun allows a good defense against helicopters, as well as pursuing cars thanks to a greater effective range than drive-by shooting. It is capable of destroying a vehicle in a couple of seconds under sustained fire. However, the gunner is very vulnerable, being almost completely exposed, and may fall off the vehicle in case of a crash.
GTA 5 Online Heist Vehicle: Karin Technical Detailed Info and Stats
Market: Warstock Cache & Carry
Bullet Proof Tires, Turbo
Copy of Real Life vehicle:
4th generation Toyota Hilux
How to unlock Karin Technical in GTA Online:
- Can be bought from Warstock Cache & Carry for $950,000 only after unlocking it by completing the Series A Funding heist finale.
Here are a few reasonable ideas (and a few less reasonable ideas) that could take the Karin Technical from a do-not-buy to a must-have.
- Make it a garage vehicle -> options for paint jobs, Bullet Proof Tires!, turbo and the ability to call it to your location through the mechanic
- Remove the ‘military vehicle’ blip from the minimap -> a technical is supposed to be a quick-and-dirty, hit-and-run type of vehicle. It is meant to take enemies by surprise. How can it do that when your average player is gearing up for battle with an Insurgent Pickup when they see your blip?
- Have upgrade options for the gun -> a couple of sizes of metal plating attached to the gun to protect the gunner.
- Have upgrade options for the weapon
- Anti-Air -> a double barreled explosive round gun that can shoot up to 80 degrees but doesn’t shoot below 15 degrees so that it would be difficult (but not impossible) to use against ground targets.
- Recoiless Rifle/Anti-tank -> basically a slower loading tank gun on the back of a pickup